Going Natural - 10 things you need to know

May 28, 2015

Remember how we sometimes look at a girl and think of her as particularly pretty just because she's spotting a low cut? I know I have, countless of times.
The Naturalista's Handbook, going natural, transitioning, Hair care, Natural hair journey, Natural hair care, Natural hair lingo, Natural hair types, Hair types, Hair typing, big chop, twist outs, flat twists, things you should know about going Natural, Hair care, short hair images, short hair, twa, Sophie David, Sophiestylish, Sophie David-Mbamara, @iamsophiedavid There's just something about a woman rocking a low cut that presses your like button. 
She exudes self confidence; in her looks, in herself. She is bold and sexy, swaggy too. She presents herself as she is, no extensions or weaves - 100% Her. I think you would agree.
Going Natural is all the rave amongst us sister girls and little wonder too. It's fresh, fun, stylish and gives you the perfect platform to let the inner you shine through.
If you have just decided to go natural, Congratulations babe! Here are some quick things you'll need to know to make your natural hair journey smoother.
1. Natural hair is simply relaxer free hair. There's no confusion in it nor magic to it. It's really just hair in its natural state.
2. There is no right or wrong way to go natural; the important thing is that you have decided to go natural.
3. It's your hair not theirs. Regardless of the negative reactions from people around you concerning your decision to go natural, always remember that it's your opinion that counts the most. They will adjust and even admire you for it. Trust me, I am a living example.
4. If you decide to transition, it's important that you know that the line of demarcation in your hair is the part where your new growth meets your relaxed hair. It's quite easy to spot as the hair textures differ and the relaxed hair is weaker.
5. Start a hair journal. Overtime, you will need to pay attention to your hair, it's needs and it's response to products used on it. The journal comes in handy as a reference to products that worked best and those that didn't. But be sure to choose products that are gentle on the hair and for the love of Christmas, stay away from anything that has sulphate!
6. Hair falls, Hair grows. Some experts say that shedding more than a 100 hairs daily is perfectly normal (who is counting though?). About 10% of your hair sheds in a period of 2 or 3 months, the other 90% grows at any time, so don't worry.
On an average, your hair is expected to grow 1/2 inch per month. But this differs in people pretty much the same way my nose differs from yours.
7. Avoid styles that damage your hair. The principal cause of hair breakage is due to tight hairdos. Don't make styles that stress your roots.
8. Avoid applying heat on your hair. Curling irons, stretchers, flat combs etc are major causes of hair damage. Be sure to avoid direct heat on your natural curls. If you must use heat, please make it as low as possible. 
9. Eat a balanced diet. Ever heard the expression 'you are what you eat"?  Same thing applies to hair growth. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, take vitamins and mineral supplements. Oh and garlic too! I know it's euwwwy, but it helps.
10. Lastly, exercise. It's not been scientifically  proven to help in hair growth, but we all know a little exercise does no harm. A healthy body they say, is a healthy mind. I say healthy body, healthy hair. Corny, but true.
Well cupcakes, I hope that was helpful. If you've got further questions, please leave a comment and I will certainly get back to you.
Stay stylish ❤❤

You Might Also Like


  1. It will be unfair if i dont leave a comment after reading almost all ur natural hair write up..i must say you are doing a fabulous wrk here..av grown my natural hair but dont have the guts to do the BC yet..you see..i just learnt BC..First timer frm nairaland(Straight Outta Sophiestylish)


I'd love to know what you think.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.